Sunday, June 19, 2011

Fatherhood...

True to nature, being born meant a man had given me life.  A man that held me close when I cried.  Feed me when I was hungry.  Changed me when needed.  And loved me.  As a baby, I knew not what any of this meant.  As a toddler I looked up to this man that was my whole world.  As I grew, my understanding of this man became clear.  He was called Daddy.  As a child he simply could do wrong!  He was my Daddy and I his shadow. 

By way of life, I grew into my own personality.  With this new person stirring inside of me, I began to change.  Daddy wasn’t so funny anymore.  He couldn’t fix everything with a kiss.  He certainly no longer had all the right answers.  But, love me he did.  He made sure I did well in school.  Made certain that I was in church and knew my Heavenly Father.  Corrected my manners.  Gave me an example to follow.  Taught me the importance of money.  Didn’t let it slide when I was out of line.  Did his best to make me happy, no matter what was going on in my small, little world.

As I continued to grow and learn, he continued to be my teacher.  At some point I remembered he was my Daddy, not some crazy old dude trying to ruin my life.  Miracle of miracles, he was still there with another lesson and more love.  He was there no matter how much I showed out, always the quiet hero in my life. 

IMG_3971-editedIMG_3951IMG_3956IMG_3959IMG_3963IMG_3972DSC01201DSC01108

Life threw me some curveballs, but my sweet Jesus made sure I could handle every thing that came my way.  Enter another great man into my life.  As I think back to my wedding, I find it a true measure of my life that one great man “gave” me to another.  I openly admit that Trace is a far better husband than I deserve.

1 month-1After 5 years of sharing our lives, my husband became someone else.  In a space of mere seconds he became a Daddy, even though he had been a father for 9 months.  I continued to be amazed at how awesome a Daddy he is (and I would know because I had one of those great kinds of Dads). 

6 months-3-19 months-1-29 months-3-1

Yes, Matthew’s Daddy did more than give his son a name; he gave him his heart.  He was there for night feedings, changings, homework, skint knees, bloody lips, flipped go-carts, meltdowns, award programs, tournaments, every day life.  He.Was.There!  He is everything Matthew could ever hope for in a father.  He’s compassionate, loving, generous, disciplinarian, involved, available, grounded, reliable; and perhaps most importantly, an example.  A true measure of what a man should be:  a Christian, strong, honest, hardworking, respectful and full of love.

MVC-028SChristmas 2002 - 16BirthdayguysPicture 072Fort Pulaski 4MVC-242SMVC-377SMVC-612FIMG_1396

I hope Matthew looks back on his childhood and remembers not the times he was in trouble, nor the times he didn’t get his way, and certainly not the times he pushed a little too far; but, rather understands each time his Daddy took action, it was to mold him into the man God expects him to be!

DSC0161910-17-02(11)DSC01627trace & mattieIMG_9115

IMG_6104IMG_6009IMG_6085IMG_0473IMG_1352 copyIMG_1427IMG_2787IMG_2557

Thank you for all you have done for me Daddy!  And, thank you Trace for changing my life!  You make sure every day that we three individuals are more than ourselves, but rather a family!  You are, without a doubt, the best man I know. 

 IM000519

Ephesians 6:4 And, you fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

Proverbs 10:9 The man of integrity walks securely, but he who takes crooked paths will be found out.

Proverbs 23:24 The father of a righteous man has great joy; he who has a wise son delights in him.

Hebrews 12:7 Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father?

0 comments left with ♥:

Blog Designed by The Single Momoirs